Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

Garlic Stems with Mock Duck

I was inspired by reading a blog a few weeks ago (and for the life of me, I can't seem to remember the name) where the person used mock, or vegetarian "duck". As I had never tried it before, and it looked so duck-like in the photo, I had a strong urge to try it and I looked for it at the grocery store and luckily I found some. I kept wanting to open the can to taste it but couldn't figure out what I should make with it. Earlier this week, I had some garlic stems and wanted something to add to it to make it heartier and I immediately thought of the mock duck. When I opened the can the "duck" had little raised dots on the "skin" just like real duck does and it smelt like soy sauce. The verdict? The texture is quite soft and the primary taste was of soy sauce. Not very duck-like but quite good nevertheless. It makes a good addition to a dish when you just need something a little more substantial. You could also use it to make noodle soup with mock duck and some bok choy.


Garlic Stems with Mock Duck

Ingredients
1lb garlic stems
1 can mock duck, shredded
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1/4 cup water

Directions
1. Wash garlic stems and trim ends. Cut to desired length. (I usually like to leave mine at 3".)
2. Heat the oil in a pan and add the minced garlic. When garlic is fragrant, add the garlic stems.
3. Stir fry for 2 minutes until the garlic stems look dry. Add water at this point and cover pan with lid for a few minutes.
4. Uncover and check to see if water has dried. If the garlic stems look tender yet still crisp, add the soy sauce and oyster sauce and stir to coat. If the garlic stems are still not tender, add a bit more water and cover for another 2 minutes.
5. When the garlic stems are coated in the soy and oyster sauce, add the shredded duck and stir fry until the duck is heated through.
6. Serve with rice and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment