I saw these brown rice vermicelli noodles and was intrigued since I love brown rice. Of course, it was also a bonus that the brown rice noodles are healthier than the regular rice vermicelli. It tastes the same so why not eat something that's better for you? Plus it has a cool factor since anyone can eat rice vermicelli but not many people eat brown rice vermicelli ;). The peanut butter lent a creaminess to the noodles and the crunchy carrots and snow peas provided a nice contrast to the tenderness of the beef. Peanut noodles are definitely one of my favourite ways to eat noodles (even though I must admit that I'm not much of a noodle fan).
Mixing the noodles in the pot
Brown Rice Peanut Vermicelli with Snow Peas, Shredded Carrots, Cubed Tofu and Spicy Soy Beef
1 cup snow peas
1/2 cup julienned carrot
1/2 cup cubed firm flavoured tofu
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 package brown rice vermicelli
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon cooking wine
1 tablespoon mirin
1 teaspoon cornstarch
3-4 tablespoons peanut butter (depending on your preference)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon sriracha chili garlic sauce
1. Slice beef thinly across the grain into strips. Marinate beef with baking soda for 10 minutes. (Do not leave for longer!) Wash beef of all baking soda and pat dry with some paper towels.
2. Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl and add to beef. Leave to marinate for at least half an hour.
3. Bring a pot of water to boil and cook noodles until soft. Drain.
4. Mix dressing ingredients together and set aside.
5. Heat oil in pan and garlic. Cook until aromatic, then add beef. Quickly stir and cook until beef is 80% finished. Dish out and set aside.
6. Add carrots to the hot pan and cook for 2 minutes until slightly softened. Add snow peas and stir fry for a minute, then add 2 tablespoons water and cover for another minute.
7. Add tofu to pan and add oyster sauce. Stir to coat. Add beef back into pan and stir fry until beef is fully cooked.
8. Place noodles in a large bowl and add beef mixture, stirring to incorporate everything together.
9. Add dressing and mix until noodles are coated in the sauce. Taste and adjust as desired.